Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Desire to be Desired

This is a quote from a song from what is soon to become one of my favorite bands (anberlin) from a song called the runaways, but that has nothing to do with what it is I am talking about. I don't wanna talk about the meaning of this song or how it "speaks to me," but I do wanna focus on this particular line for a moment. The desire to be desired. It's an interesting line and I believe this is something that each of us as human beings desire. We all wanna be loved, if not by someone, than something. There is something about us that makes us long for being desired. 

For a while now I have been trying to embrace this as best as possible. At times it can be quite challenging and very difficult, especially around people I wouldn't normally hang out with. But I always try and picture myself in the person I am speaking with's shoes. How they are feeling, whatever struggle they are going through. It could be small, could be huge. But there is usually something. I find that a lot of the times when I speak to kids who don't have a lot of friends that there number one desire is to be desired. And at times, that is why they don't have friends, they try too hard to be liked and it makes them come across as "strange" or "weird" to other people. 

As I pondered this, I came to this realization: maybe these people wouldn't have to try as hard if someone would give them what it is they are searching for. We all wanna be loved, for some people it's easier than others to be liked, some people have to try hard, but deep down, we all have the desire to be desired. 

Who is it in my life that I need to reach out to some more and show myself a friend?

No comments:

Post a Comment